Saturday, June 4, 2011

Blogging through the Gospels Luke 10!

Good Morning Everyone!

And a "Happy Sabbath" to you. Sabbath. My favorite day. A gift from God, each week, just for us to spend time with Him. :) How cool is that?!

Our Scripture reading today is Luke, chapter 10. Several well-known stories appear in this chapter. The "Good Samaritan" parable gives LOTS to think and study about. But--perhaps because I'm female, the story that jumps out at me is the short little one of Mary and Martha when Jesus came to their house....

Scripture:

"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:41,42

Observation:

Jesus and His disciples were at Mary and Martha's home. It was time to eat. This was not the days of microwaves or take-out from diners. Everything that was made was "from scratch." No shortcuts. Only longcuts.

And while Martha rushes around frantically, preparing food for at least 13 hungry men plus others in the household and any others traveling with the group--Mary sits. She sits at Jesus' feet. Listening. Learning. Loving. And leaving Martha doing all the work herself.

Application:

O.K. True confession time. I feel sorry for Martha! I mean, she was the responsible one here. SOMEONE had to make the food. She does all the work--and then gets gently chastised for not choosing the "better thing." I bet Martha would have LOVED to have sat at Jesus' feet...

But our vision is so narrow. Maybe, just maybe. If Martha HAD chosen to sit at Jesus' feet, maybe Jesus would have chosen to provide the food. Perhaps He would have done a miracle. We will never know. But I do know that Martha missed an opportunity to sit at Jesus' feet. And that is something I do not want to miss--no matter how busy I am.

Prayer:

Dear Father--Help me to slow down. To not be so busy "doing" that I miss the opportunity for "sitting."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Come read the Gospels with us! Lots of blessings left! www.momstoolbox.com


No comments:

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors