Sunday, June 26, 2011

Review: Homestead Blessings--The Art of Quilting


Delightful.

That is the one word that best sums up my thoughts on Franklin Springs "Homestead Blessings--The Art of Quilting" DVD.

http://franklinsprings.com/allfilms/homestead-blessings/homestead-blessings-the-art-of-quilting.html

I was thrilled to be given the opportunity to review this DVD. Being an experienced quilter myself, I was curious to see if I would learn anything new. I was also wondering if this might be useful for using in a homeschool setting--sort of as a little home economics class. The answer to both of my questions ended up a resounding "Yes!"

This DVD showed very clearly what steps to take in making a simple yet beautiful quilt. If I had never quilted before in my life, I would have felt after watching this DVD like it was something that I could easily do and something that I would love to do. The West ladies are warm and friendly, and clearly show how to cut fabric, sew blocks, layer your quilt, bind the edges and finally how to hand quilt. They show the start-to-finish of making a quilt, then show you different little quilting projects such as using one quilt block to make beautiful hot pads, a cobbler cozy, making pinwheel blocks simply, etc.

Everything that they show is clearly and simply shown. While they do show a few tools such as quilting rulers and rotary cutters that may make your quilt making easier, at the same time they do not emphasize having the latest and best in everything. Some sewing machines out there cost more than my car does--well, the West ladies do their sewing on a treadle sewing machine!
I love how they bring out a bit of the history of quilting, and also show how fun it can be to have a quilting bee. I wish they were MY neighbors--guess I will need to have my own quilting bee!

This quilting DVD could VERY easily be used in homeschool as a home economics class, but truly you will want to get it just for yourself!

You can learn more about all the Homestead Blessings DVDS here: http://player.vimeo.com/video/13279882?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0

Personally, I would love to own all of them!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Disclaimer: I received free of charge one copy of "Homestead Blessings: The Art of Quilting" in exchange for my reviewing it on my blog. I have received no other compensation, and all opinions expressed here are 100% my own.


1 comment:

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

Oh Susan!! How lucky where you!! Jason bought a set of 8 of them for me a year or two ago, but it does not have this DVD in the set. This is one that I really would like to get. I am glad to read your review. It will be put on my list of things I will be looking for.
I also think it was neat that you and I were thinking of the exact Bible verses. It is really an encouraging portion of the Bible. Well I guess unless life is going wonderfully or you and then it could be very depressing.lol :o)
Lisa :o)

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors