Today we are reading in Luke chapter 22.
Scripture:
. . . the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. Luke 22:26
Observation:
They were celebrating the Passover. Jesus and His disciples were eating in the upper room, and the disciples start to argue among themselves. "I'm going to have a high position in the coming kingdom," I can hear one say. "No, I'm going to be of more importance than you," another one counters. Jesus hears them, in spite of their trying to hide their conversation from Him. "The greatest is the one who serves others" he tells them. Suddenly, they begin to realize that they just may have been missing what He has been trying to teach them all this time.
Application:
Serving others. Humbling yourself. Doing a job no one else wants to do. This is not in my nature to want to do. But Jesus says to "Follow Me." And Jesus served. I have seen at the school where my husband works an example to me of humbling oneself. Every year, for one day, the college president forsakes his suit and office and works somewhere else on campus. Sometimes it is in landscape, pulling weeds, planting flowers, mowing grass in the hot southern sun. It may be in services, washing windows, vacuuming classrooms, scrubbing toilets. It is just for one day--the next he will be back in his suit coat and air conditioned office. But it gives him an idea of what others are working at every single day. And it makes him a better leader. So in my own little world, may I remember what it is like to be a child, a teen, or a full-time worker. And may I serve my family today--like Jesus.
Prayer:
Dear Father--Open my eyes to those around me. Show me how to serve them and better their lives, lighten their loads, draw them closer to You.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Come read with us and be blessed! Reading through the Gospels with Mom's Tool Box. www.momstoolbox.com
No comments:
Post a Comment