Hello Everyone!
Today we are reading Psalm 63. I loved the imagery in this Psalm, and choose the very first verse in the chapter as the one I recorded in my notebook:
"O God, You are my God; Early will I seek You; My soul thirsts for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water." Psalm 63:1
Can't you just image a picture of a desert--sun beating down unmercifully, ground cracked and parched. THAT is our soul when it is not connected with God! And now think about a beautiful green woods--with a waterfall tumbling down over rocks and all the green plants and wildflowers growing around the edges of the water. I have been able to visit the Smoky Mountains several times, so this is what I imagine when I think of green and water! THIS picture is our soul when it IS connected with God!
Another thing that caught my attention was the fact that the verse says he seeks God "early." Now I know only too well what it is like when one has a baby or small child to take care of, or other responsibilities that make having quiet time in the morning difficult. But in my own personal experience, I have found that whatever I do first thing in the morning--that is what gets done! Whatever I do later in the day--well, it may or may not get done! So if I want to make sure I don't miss my quiet time with the Lord, I have to do it early. If I don't--the phone rings, the children need something, or SOMETHING happens and my day just runs out!
I found something (below) talking about this in a devotional book that I wanted to share with you--talking about meeting God first thing in the morning.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The very first outbreathing of the soul in the morning should be for the presence of Jesus. "Without Me" He says, "ye can do nothing." It is Jesus that we need; His light, His life, His Spirit, must be ours continually. We need Him every hour. And we should pray in the morning that as the sun illuminates the landscape, and fills the world with light, so the Sun of Righteousness may shine into the chambers of mind and heart, and make us all light in the Lord. We cannot do without His presence one moment. The enemy knows when we undertake to do without our Lord, and he is there, ready to fill our minds with his evil suggestions that we may fall from our steadfastness; but it is the desire of the Lord that from moment to moment we should abide in Him, and thus be complete in Him. . .
Our Father Cares, by E. G White, p. 40, 41
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The very first thing--Jesus. And yes--the very last thing--Jesus. And all the in between times as well--Jesus. This is the only way to survive and thrive in this sin-filled world.
Talk with Jesus tonight--and wake up a few minutes earlier tomorrow morning and talk with Him again. He will be waiting for you.
~Susan

No comments:
Post a Comment