Sunday, October 9, 2016

150 Days in the Psalms--Psalm 68

Hello Friends!

Sorry I have been missing posting the past several days--have just been super busy!  But I have been keeping up with my reading, and I hope you have too!  And I will try and get caught up on my posting today if possible.

Friday the Psalm to read was Psalm 68.  My favorite verse that really spoke to my heart was verse 5:

"A father of the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in His holy habitation."  Psalm 68:5

I have been thinking about this particular verse ever since I read it Friday morning in my quiet time.  You see, Friday some friends of our family buried their 18 year old son, who died from injuries caused in a car accident.  And I can't help but think that this verse applies more broadly here than we may first read it.

Oh yes--I completely agree that it means what it says--that God IS a father to the fatherless, and a defender of widows.  And I am SO glad that He is, because I also have a friend who lost her husband to cancer this past April.  And that means that her children also lost their father.  And I claim this verse for this precious family, and I know God will fulfill His promise.

But I can't help but feel in my heart that this verse also applies to God being a son to those who have lost theirs.  I think about Mary--the mother of Jesus when He lived here on this earth.  When Jesus was hanging on the cross, dying a cruel and unjust death, He still looked after her by "giving" her to His disciple John--therefore arranging for John to care for her the rest of her life.

And so as I watched the funeral on-line on Friday, as it was states away from where I live, I prayed Psalm 68 verse 5 for them.  That God will not only watch over them and carry them in the days and weeks and months ahead, but that He would also be a "Son" to them, until that glorious day comes when the dead in Christ shall rise first and families won't be broken up by the enemy any more.

Thank you, Jesus, for being all that we need!  For making up the lack.  For carrying us when we are too weak or exhausted or weary to go on.

~Susan


No comments:

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors