Thursday, November 17, 2016

150 Days in the Psalms--Psalm 107

Good Morning Everyone!

We are reading Psalm 107 today, and there were several verses I wanted to write in my notebook!  But I had to try and limit myself at least a bit!  One thing I noticed immediately is that it is repeating the "Give Thanks to the Lord" theme that was also in Psalm 106.  In fact, it is repeated more times in Psalm 107.  I do think we underestimate giving thanks--and that is NOT to our credit!  What selfish creatures we naturally are!

But what I finally settled on for recording in my Bible notebook is not about giving thanks at all--but instead it is on how our God is the One who can calm our storms.  I recorded verses 29 and 30:

"He calms the storm, so that its waves are still.  Then they are glad because they are quiet; So He guides them to their desired haven."  Psalm 107:29, 30

Do you ever feel like you have a storm going on in your life?  I sure do!  Sometimes the storm feels more like a tornado!  But I have to admit--too often I am trying to handle things on my own.  My Study Bible had this note for this chapter:

"How often the disciples' experience is ours! . . . We trust to our own strength till our hope is lost, and we are ready to perish.  Then we remember Jesus, and if we call upon Him to save us, we shall not cry in vain  Though He sorrowfully reproves our unbelief and self-confidence, He never fails to give us the help we need. . . Living faith in the Redeemer will smooth the sea of life, and will deliver us from danger in the way that He knows to be best."
The Desire of Ages, by E. G. White, p. 336

Just THINK about that!  He NEVER fails to give us the help we need!  Oh me of little faith!  Why of why do I think of Jesus LAST instead of thinking of Him FIRST???

May our FIRST instinct--our FIRST reaction to anything, be to run to Him.

"All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out."  John 6:37

Go to Him today--He is waiting to calm your storms!

~Susan

No comments:

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors