Sunday, November 20, 2016

150 Days in the Psalms--Psalm 110



Good Morning Everyone!

Today we are reading Psalm 110.  Hard to believe that pretty soon we will be all the way through the Psalms!  In my Bible, this Psalm has the subtitle of "Announcement of the Messiah's Reign."  I liked the reminder found in verse 1, so that is the verse I wrote in my Bible notebook:

"The LORD said to my Lord, 'Sit at My right hand, till I make your enemies your footstool.'"  Psalm 110:1

Does the same thing stand out to you that does to me?  Our job--to sit and wait for God!  To wait for HIM to work things out.  To wait for HIM to do battle.  To wait for HIM to decide the timing is right.  Isn't it truly harder for us to wait than for us to rush right in there and DO something???  Am I the only one like this?

Reading this verse reminded me of a couple of other similar verses--always good to take the Bible as a whole!  Sometimes we can misunderstand one verse, but comparing verse with verse we can be more certain of God's guidance in our lives. . . Anyway, these following verses came to mind, or came up in a quick search:

"The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still."  Exodus 14:14

"He said 'Listen, King Jehoshaphat and all who live in Judah and Jerusalem!  This is what the LORD says to you: 'Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army.  For the battle is not yours, but God's.' "  2 Chronicles 20:15

"Do not be afraid of them; the LORD your God himself will fight for you."  Deuteronomy 3:22

And then we come to my absolute favorite--this is from a story in the Bible that I draw much courage from!  It is one that I always need to remember!  So I included some of the verses around it so you will have more of the story that was going on.  This story has to do with the prophet Elisha and his servant. . .

"Now when the attendant of the man of God had risen early and gone out, behold, an army with horses and chariots was circling the city.  And his servant said to him, 'Alas, my master!  What shall we do?'  So he answered, 'Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.'  Then Elisha prayed and said, 'O LORD, I pray, open his eyes that he may see.'  And the LORD opened the servant's eyes and he saw; and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. . . "  2 Kings 6:15-17

I LOVE that story!  It is not that the enemy army surrounding them wasn't real--it was very real indeed!  But equally real--but the servant did not see this at first--was that God's army was surrounding the enemy army!  Elisha knew God's army was there, even though his earthly eyes did not see it either at first.  But he knew he was doing God's will, so he knew God would be there.

Does this mean that nothing bad will ever happen to God's people?  Not necessarily.  The Bible is also full of stories of His prophets who were doing His will--and yet the people stoned them or sawed them in half or all sorts of terrible things.  But if we are doing what He has asked us to do--there is no safer place for us to be.  We may lose our life here on this earth, but can not the one who created us in the first place resurrect us again at the second coming?

And so today, from reading Psalm 110, I am going to try and remember that the battle is not mine--it is God's.  I am only to make sure I am doing whatever He has asked me to do.

~Susan

No comments:

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors