Hi Everyone!
Sorry it is already evening before I am getting today's post up! I did my Bible reading this morning like normal, but then needed to hurry off to church. I fully planned on posting right after lunch, but well--I went for a walk, then came back and took a nap, and then completely forgot I hadn't already posted this morning! But I guess as they say, better late than never! ;)
Today I am on Psalm 41. I didn't get very far before I found the verse I wanted to record for my Bible notebook--I got all the way through verse 1!
"Blessed is he who considers the poor; the LORD will deliver him in time of trouble." Psalm 41:1
This verse makes it pretty clear that God cares about the poor of this world, and that He wants those who have enough to help out those who do not have enough! It reminded me about how when you read in the Bible about ancient Israel, when they harvested their land each year they were instructed to remember and to share some of their harvest with the poor.
"When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap your field right up to its edge, neither shall you gather the gleanings after you harvest. And you shall not strip your vineyard bare, neither shall you gather the fallen grapes of your vineyard. You shall leave them for the poor and for the sojourner: I am the LORD your God." Leviticus 19:9
Remember the story of Ruth? She was gleaning in fields that belonged to Boaz. In fact, that is how she first met him, and he instructed his workers to keep an eye on her and to make sure that no one harmed her as she gleaned. Ruth and her mother-in-law were certainly considered "poor," especially in that time period. With no husband for either one of them--and no male child or other close male relative to take them in and care for them, they were destitute. Women were not allowed to own property, or go get a job, and really had no way to support themselves other than gleaning.
But what about ALL the poor? With the media today, we are aware of millions who are starving or in drought, or experiencing one type of disaster or another. We can't help them all--I wish I could! But can I help one? Can YOU help just one?
We have a thrift center in my town--can I donate something for their food bank? Can I buy some clean up supplies for a collection going to the flood victims in Louisiana? I live near a small college--can I make a small donation to a worthy student fund? Or invite a student to my house to eat?
I ran across this quote this morning in my reading--it is beautiful, and definitely something to think about:
"Much of the suffering in the world is caused because of want of food, want of clothes, but it is caused even more because of the want of love. Many peope are hungry not for bread only, they are hungry for love. Many people are not naked for a piece of clothes, they are naked without human dignity that has been stolen from them." ~Mother Teresa
It makes you think, doesn't it?
So what can YOU do to help someone? Leave your ideas in the comments--we can all gather ideas from one another.
~Susan
Saturday, September 10, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

No comments:
Post a Comment