Wednesday, September 28, 2016

150 Days in the Psalms--Psalm 59

Good Morning!

Today we are on Psalm 59.  Did you read it too?  If you did, did your Bible have the same note at the beginning of the chapter that mine did?

My Bible had this note right under the "Psalm 59" heading:

"To the Chief Musician.  Set to 'Do Not Destroy.' A Michtam of David when Saul sent men and they watched the house in order to kill him."

Can you even imagine being in that position?  I mean, have you ever KNOWN that people were outside of your house--watching it, and waiting for you to come out because they wanted to kill you?  It doesn't sound like a very peaceful way of relaxing at home after a hard day's work to me!

And yet--in spite of this being the setting for this Psalm--look what verse is found here:

"But I will sing of Your power; Yes, I will sing aloud of Your mercy in the morning; For You have been my defense and refuge in the day of my trouble."  Psalm 59:16

This--this is the verse that I recorded in my Bible notebook.  This is what I want to do--no matter my situation, no matter if I am in a time of plenty or a time of want, a time of peace or a time of war--I want to sing of His power.  I want to sing of His mercy.  I want to know that He is my defense and refuge, no  matter what it is I may be facing that day.

Which reminded me of another story in the Bible.  Do you remember this one?

"But about midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns of praise to God, and the prisoners were listening to them."  Acts 16:25

Paul and Silas were in PRISON.  They weren't exactly in a nice safe spot.  They knew that any minute they could be killed--yet they were praying and singing praises to God!  They knew the secret.

Praising God while we are in the midst of trouble.  Not because you know of a safe outcome, but because you are resting in HIS hands, whether you live or die.

Have you put yourself in His hands today?  This is our most important work each day!

~Susan

1 comment:

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

Love this post - what encouragement! Lisa :O)

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors