Good Morning!
Did you read Psalm 12 this morning? I did! There were several verses that caught my attention, but what spoke to me the loudest was actually a study note that was included in this chapter. The note went along with verse 6, which reads like this:
"The words of the LORD are pure words, Like silver tried in a furnace of earth, Purified seven times."
O.K.--so I have absolutely no problem with this verse. It is telling us that God's words are pure. Yup. Got that. I agree, so there isn't really a lesson in this for me, right?
Wrong! Just because I agree with something doesn't mean that I am DOING all that I need to be doing. . . I found this study note going along with verse 6. The note is taken from the book "Education" by E.G. White, p. 244:
"We should reverence God's word. For the printed volume we should show respect, never putting it to common uses, or handling it carelessly. And never should Scripture be quoted in a jest, or paraphrased to point a witty saying."
So what's the problem? I have always been taught to be careful with my Bible. I remember my church school teacher telling us to never pile other books on top of our Bibles--and while I may not have done this I have always been careful with my Bibles, usually purchasing a nice Bible case to help protect them from anything as they are brought to church and other places. It's the last part of that study note that got my attention. The part that says not to quote Scripture in a jest, or paraphrase to point a witty saying. I mean, I don't do this on purpose, but you see I have this very dry sense of humor that I inherited from my dad, and well, sometimes some witty comment just springs up out of no where and spills out of my lips. But I do not want to do ANYTHING that dishonors God's Word. But these comments aren't really something thought about ahead of time or planned (I know that is art of the problem!). So there is only one thing left to do, and that is to pray THIS prayer:
"Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; Keep watch over the door of my lips." Psalm 141:3
I am thankful that I can ask HIM for help. Because I do not want to do or say anything that hurts my Savior.
Have you been convicted of anything lately?
I hope you have a beautiful day with your Savior!
~Susan
No comments:
Post a Comment