You thought I forgot, didn't you?
Nope! I didn't forget! I just had to make sure I had my priorities straight. This morning, having my priorities straight meant that it was more important for me to get myself ready for church and out the door to meet with fellow believers than it did posting on my little blog--much as I enjoy that!
I thought you all probably wouldn't mind if I hopped on here this afternoon and shared my thoughts on today's Psalm--even if it wasn't first thing in the morning. :) But speaking of priorities and "first thing in the morning" things. . . that reminds me of something I have been pondering for a day now. Yesterday I was listening to a live Facebook broadcast by a home school mom, and she mentioned something that has really struck me. You know--the "I recognize I really need to do that too" kind of striking. This wasn't even what her main topic of her talk was about, but during her talk she mentioned that she had come to a point where she wanted to make God's Word the FIRST thing that she read in the morning. Not after scanning her Facebook feed. Not after glancing over her e-mail. First thing. Like, very very first. For her, what this looked like was having a memory verse be the first thing that she sees on her phone each day. She reads the "Verse of the Day," often going ahead and reading the entire chapter that the verse is found in. She said that she may then need to go on and do some other things for her family before she actually has a significant amount of time to spend on her quiet time--but that she just was convicted that she needed to read TRUTH before she read anything else.
My heart tells me that I need to do the same thing
SO--this morning I got up and even though I didn't have time to do my regular routine with sitting down with my Bible, I knew I could still grab the Bible on my iPad and read today's Psalm. So I did that as I was getting ready to walk out the door, going back over the chapter several times to identify which verse I needed to focus on today, even though I would need to do my actual journaling about it later. My heart likes this--TRUTH before anything else.
Today's Psalm is Psalm 6. Just reading it once it isn't hard to pick up on David's distress. He is crying out saying that he is weak, troubled, and distressed. He says he is weary with groaning and asks God "How long before deliverance?"
But after mentioning all that, he finally arrives at the bottom line, and that is the verse I choose for writing in my Bible journal:
. . . For the LORD has heard the voice of my weeping. The LORD has heard my supplication. The LORD will receive my prayer. Psalm 6:8,9
Alright--I admit it. I choose a verse and a half, not just a verse. And if you want to do the same, that's perfectly fine! ;)
What impressed me here was that even with all the weariness David has already talked about, he still says the the Lord HAS heard. The Lord WILL receive. Not--He might hear me. Not--He might receive me. He DOES hear me. Which brings me to my second thought--am I talking to Him? Am I asking Him for help? He will receive my prayer, but I must pray the prayer in order for it to be received.
How many times do we talk about how we are going to "pray about something," but then we never really actually get around to PRAYING about it? All we have done is talk about it! Guilty as charged. . .
So did you read God's TRUTH today? Are you reading along with me in the Psalms? I would love if you shared with me what you read today, and what God spoke to your heart!
~Susan
1 comment:
Beautiful post! Great thoughts, thanks so much for sharing. :)
Post a Comment