Sunday, August 21, 2016

150 Days in the Psalms--Psalm 21

Good Morning Everyone!

Today is Psalm 21--and I choose a verse that if taken a certain way looks like God will always give us anything at all that we want!  But I don't think that is exactly the way it is intended. . .

"You have given him his heart's desire, And have not withheld the request of his lips."
Psalm 21:2

So if this is a Bible promise, then God is going to give us whatever we want--right?  Humm. . . . I think there is more than meets the eye here.  I am pretty sure that I could safely say that every single person who has ever lived on this earth has had desires that did not get answered the way we wanted.  And it doesn't have to be just desires that would be "bad" for us.  What about desires for a loved one--or even yourself--to be healed?  What about when your child dies?  That wasn't a "selfish" prayer, right?

I think many times there are things that we desire that are good and true and pure.  Things that there is nothing wrong with us wanting them, praying for them--and in fact there may be everything "right" with our desires!  But we still live in a world of sin.  And bad things still happen.  Even if we prayed for a miracle.

I don't have all the answers--I don't even have MOST of the answers!  But I do know as I wrestled with this verse an reflected on my life, sometimes it is the timing that does not match up with God's.  At least in my own life, there was a "desire" I prayed about for around nine years before it was granted.  And sometimes we say that "God answered our prayer" when we get whatever it was that we wanted.  But what about if God has already answered?  What about if His answer is "No?"

"Our plans are not always God's plans.  He may see that it is best for us and for His cause to refuse our very best intentions, as He did in the case of David.  But of one thing we may be assured, He will bless and use in the advancement of His cause those who sincerely devote themselves and all they have to His glory.  If He sees it best not to grant their desires He will counterbalance the refusal by giving them tokens of His love and entrusting to them another service."
Ministry of Healing by E.G. White p. 473

Isn't that a precious promise?  And to think of God knowing that He needs to refuse us what we are asking for, so He gives us "tokens of His love."  He doesn't want us to feel unloved when He has to tell us "No."

And here is another promise that I have clung to many times:

"God never leads His children otherwise than they would choose to be led, if they could see the end from the beginning and discern the glory of the purpose which they are fulfilling as co-workers with Him."
Ministry of Healing by E.G. White p. 479

I see what I think would be good--but God sees more.  My understanding is limited--His understanding is limitless.

And so I continue to trust in Him.  I trust that He WILL give me my heart's desire--if not on this earth, then in the earth made new.

Keep trusting in your Savior.  Because He really does love you!

~Susan

No comments:

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors