Thursday, August 4, 2016

150 Days in the Psalms--Psalm 4


Good Morning!

I loved today's Psalm! Which is why I couldn't resist getting on here for just a minute, even though I SHOULD be getting ready for the day instead!  But with the world we live in being the way it is--well, this Psalm may have been written a long time ago, but it is definitely a Psalm for TODAY!

First of all, I wanted to mention something about my Bible coloring system.  Even though it is a very simple system with just three colors, if any of you are even a tiny bit like me, you will sometimes find yourself agonizing over what color REALLY identifies a Bible passage the best.  For instance--in today's reading, I got to verse 3 and knew that I wanted to highlight the portion that reads "The LORD will hear when I call to Him."  But then I had to sit there and ponder is this showing what God's character is like?  If so, then I would color it yellow.  But it could also be looked at as a promise--in which case I would color it green!  Although those who have been in my house would NEVER recognize this by looking around, inside I am a "closet perfectionist" and things like this can send me around in circles until I give up and just don't mark anything!  So I am here to tell you--just get over it and grab a color and highlight if something caught your attention!  It really doesn't matter!  The Bible coloring system is supposed to help us look closer at the verses and think about what God is saying to us--it is NOT intended to keep us from applying the verses to our lives because we are so concerned that we will not do it the "right way."  So just in case you are wondering--I colored it green!  But it "could" have been colored different!  Reading further down, I also got to verse 5 and colored "And put your trust in the LORD" with blue, because that is definitely God's Will for me and something I need to remember.  Then I highlighted a couple other verses, which you can see in the picture below.

The verse I choose to write out for my Bible notebook is verse 8--"I will both lie down in peace and sleep; For You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety."

It is an easy thing to lie down.  But much harder to lie down in PEACE when things around us are in turmoil.  I looked up in Webster's Dictionary the definition of "Turmoil" this morning.  It defines it as "A state of confusion or disorder."  Yup.  I think I have the right word--I LIVE in a world of turmoil for sure!  It is that way every single day!  And Psalm 4 helps remind me--there is only ONE help--God alone can make us dwell in safety.

But of course I realize that that does not mean nothing bad may happen.  My dear friend lost her 17 year old son to cancer a few years ago--I would definitely put that in the "bad things happened" category. So being a Christian doesn't mean you will live life problem free. . . but it does mean we have Someone to carry our burdens for us.

There is a personal story that is recorded in a book called "Testimonies for the Church" that today's Psalm reminded me of.  So I thought I would share the story with you all here.  

"A few weeks after this, on our way to Boston we took the steamer at Portland.  A violent storm came up, and we were in great peril.  The boat rolled fearfully, and the waves dashed into the cabin windows.  There was great fear in the ladies' cabin.  Many were confessing their sins, and crying to God for mercy.  Some were calling upon the Virgin Mary to keep them, while others were making solemn vows to God that if they reached land they would devote their lives to His service.  It was a scene of terror and confusion.  As the boat rocked, a lady turned tom e and said:  'Are you not terrified?  I suppose it is a fact that we may never reach land.'  I told her that I had made Christ my refuge, and if my work was done, I might as well lie in the bottom of the ocean as in any other place; but if my work was not done, all the waters of the ocean could not drown me.  My trust was in God; He would bring us safe to land if it was for His glory."
Testionies for the Church, by E.G. White,  Vol. 1 p. 80-81 

THAT is what dwelling in safety means to me.  Not that nothing bad may happen to me on this sin-filled earth.  But that my life is hidden in Him, and that I am trusting in Him to lead and direct and yes, even choose the time if I am to sleep for a while before He comes the second time.  I want my life to be so hidden in Him that it is impossible to tell where His life ends and mine begins.

And now I REALLY need to get ready for the day!

Are you reading the Psalms along with me?  If so, please share what is blessing you in the comments! 

Have a wonderful day with your Savior!

~Susan


No comments:

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors