Good Morning!
Today I am up to reading Psalm 14--I cannot believe it has been two weeks already! Time really does fly by--I suppose because I am not a child any more! Honestly, I think all children think that the days just drag by until they are old enough to do certain things they are anxiously waiting for! But that is not the case for me any longer--I think the days are flying by!
Today, I choose for my verse Psalm 14:2, which reads like this:
"The LORD looks down from heaven upon the children of men, To see if there are any who understand, who seek God."
The part that really caught my attention was the second part--to see if there are any who understand, who seek God. "Who seek God?" What does it mean to seek God?
So I typed into my Bible Gateway app search bar the words "seek God." I was surprised at how many verses came up! The Bible has quite a bit to say about seeking God! I choose three verses that I thought best helped me to understand what "seeking God" meant in the context that I am reading it here in verse 2. . .
Hebrews 11:6--And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
This verse teaches me that I need to have faith that God exists--and that He is going to reward me if I am earnestly seeking Him. But I still wanted to know better what it MEANS to seek God. Which led me to another verse. . .
Proverbs 14:32--When calamity comes, the wicked are brought down, but even in death the righteous seek refuge in God.
This verse I thought was very interesting, because it does not pretend that nothing bad ever happens to God's people. Quite the contrary--it says that "even in death," which certainly implies that the righteous WILL die--whether they are dying here from old age (and living in a world of sin where we all die) or dying from being killed--it says that even in death the righteous seek refuge in God. My dear friend lost her seventeen year old son a year and a half ago to cancer. This verse reminds me of her son--because even in death, he was seeking refuge in God.
But I wanted to know more. I have learned that I need to have faith that God exists, and that I need to seek Him even in death--but I still wanted to know more about what seeking God looks like. And I found my answer, in a surprising place--right back in the book of Psalms. Just read this verse:
Psalm 10:4--In his pride the wicked man does not seek him, in all his thoughts there is no room for God.
That was it--that verse explained the question in my mind. If the wicked person has no room in their thoughts for God, then what I want to do is the opposite of this--I want there to be LOTS of room in my thoughts for God! I want to think about Him all the time! Which reminds me of Daniel. When the evil administrators in the kingdom wanted to bring Daniel down, they knew he was a man who they would find no dishonesty in. They even said "We will never find any basis for charges against this man Daniel unless it has something to do with the law of his God." Daniel 6:5
So they convinced the king to sign a law stating that no one could pray to any other god except for him for thirty days. The king signed it--not even thinking of his friend Daniel. But read what Daniel did next!
"Now when Daniel learned that the decree had been published, he went hoe to his upstairs room where the windows opened toward Jerusalem. Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before." Daniel 6:10
JUST AS HE HAD DONE BEFORE. Did you catch that? Daniel didn't change just because a new law told him that he couldn't talk with God any more. Daniel had room in his thoughts for God--every day, and we know from verse 10 that at least three times a day he was thinking about and talking with God.
So that is what I want to have in my life. Room in my thoughts for God.
I would love to hear how YOU are making room in your thoughts for God!
Have a beautiful day today--and make sure to save room for Him.
~Susan
1 comment:
Beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing! :)
Post a Comment