Good Morning!
Today I read through Psalm 8. It is a familiar one to most of us. One of those that we have heard parts of often, even if we didn't realize exactly where it was from.
David is talking about how great God really is--how when you really sit and think about it, think about everything He has made--well, it kind of boggles the mind. A little hard to really truly wrap your brain around, if you know what I mean. Especially when you consider all the things that we DON'T see but that are still there--things like millions of cells and body systems that are either in us or in other plants and animals that share our world. Cells that replace themselves--systems that keep working even while we are sleeping--and they do it without the least thought from us. And looking out--what about looking at the stars and all the things that are around our planet that we only have an idea about. David didn't have a microscope or a telescope of course, but he still was awed by God's creation. He still saw enough--enough to know that no one--simply no one--could out do God.
And yet He cares about us? Little, puny sin-filled humans?
How do we rate? I mean, we don't amount to much, and yet a God as great as this pays attention to us?
My study Bible had a note included with this Psalm, and I thought I would share what was included with you here. This comment was originally taken from the book "The Ministry of Healing" by E. G. White, and is from page 397:
"Next to the angelic beings, the human family, formed in the image of God, are the noblest of His created works. God desires them to become all that he has made it possible for them to be, and to do their very best with the powers He has given them. . .
We are here for a purpose. God has given us His plan for our life, and He desires us to reach the highest standard of development."
I thought this comment was beautiful. We are not here by mistake. We are here for a purpose! And God wants us to become all that it is possible for us to become. To learn all that we can learn, to be our very best--with all that He has given to us. To develop and use whatever unique talents and gifts He has given to each one of us.
What a loving God we serve! He creates us--but then instead of trying to keep us down He encourages us to reach up! Up in developing ourselves, but especially up in reaching for Him.
It makes me think--am I using the talents He has given me? Am I continuing to grow and develop the gifts I have been given? Are you?
One thing I have stretched myself with recently is I am learning to play the mountain dulcimer. I have played just a little bit for a long time, but this last school year I--along with my daughter and hubby--joined a local dulcimer group. We practice once a week, and then play for a local nursing home once a month. This is a very small thing, but I am NOT a natural music person, so it is a HUGE thing for me! But I am trying--and I think I am improving some. At least, they haven't kicked me out of the group--yet! ;)
Are YOU doing anything to stretch and grow yourself??? Please share in the comments--I would love to hear what you are doing!
Have a beautiful day with your beautiful Savior!
~Susan
1 comment:
I would say the thing that I am doing lately that is stretching my brain - is quilting. It was a bit overwhelming at first - the piecing stretches my mind at times as well but the actual quilting is stretching it for sure.
Lisa :O)
Post a Comment